16 things you didn’t know about Amsterdam-North
Did you know..
1. that from its foundation in 1900 to 1907 footbalclub Ajax had their home base in Amsterdam-Noord?
Ajax played in the Buiksloterhampolder, where the BUNK hotel now stands. On the pasture they built a dressing room and benches. In 1901 they moved to the Laanweg, which was closer to the chain ferry across the IJ. There they dressed up in the Tolhuis. In 1907 the club moved to the Watergraafsmeer, although they still visited regularly to practice against school teams from Buiksloot and Nieuwendam. In 1912 boys from Nieuwendam started their own football club: DWV.
2. that between 1642 and 1647 Rembrandt sketched the obtuse tower of Ransdorp many times.
He did this while visiting his sweetheart Greetje Dircx who was living in Ransdorp. The tower, dating from 1525, is flat because it was never completed (there was no more money) and had risen just over 32 meters. Yet high enough to have a beautiful view and also serve as a lookout for the Germans during the Second World War.
3. that the ebb and flow in Amsterdam came to an end in 1872 with the construction of the Orange Locks (Oranjesluizen)?
4. that Amsterdam-North was accessible from Amsterdam only by ferry or boat until 1957?
It was not until that year that the Schellingwouderbrug (791 meters long) opened, connecting Amsterdam-North to Zeeburgereiland in Amsterdam-East. This was followed by the Coentunnel (1,283 meters long) in 1966, the IJ tunnel (1,682 meters long) in 1968, the Zeeburgertunnel (946 meters long) in 1990, the Piet Hein tunnel (1,900 meters long) in 1993, and in 2018 the North / South line or Metro line 52. This takes you every six or seven minutes in fifteen minutes from North, via modern stations in the Center, to Amsterdam South, and back, over a length of 9.7 kilometers.
5. that in 1916 the Zuiderzee flood flooded large parts of Amsterdam-Noord?
This was partly the reason for the annexation of Noord by Amsterdam in 1921.
6. the Buikslotermeer in 1628 was ground dry and drained?
This inland lake was about 340 ha in size and 3 to 4 meters deep. After that it was flooded two more times after dike breaches; in 1825 and in 1916. The current Buikslotermeerpolder is about 5 meters below NAP ( Normal Amsterdam Level ).
7.the Eye film museum have the largest film library in the Netherlands?
8. that the national monument Tolhuis is one of the oldest locations in Amsterdam North?
It was built in the 17th century next to the Buiksloterferry that already existed in 1300. In addition to the toll booth, it was also a coffee house and was added with a tea dome in 1770. In the 19th century it was no longer sufficient and in 1859 the building that still stands today was erected. A beautiful garden was also added to create a stopping place for the locals who could attend open air concerts here. The IJ pavilion with a terrace on the water followed later. When this went bankrupt in 1930 Shell started using it. Shell built the current Tolhuistuin complex in 1977, where the beautiful garden has been preserved.
9. that up to 1900 there were 72 windmills in Amsterdam North?
10. that the Noordhollandskanaal was opened in 1824, which connected Amsterdam to Noord-Holland?
The canal, dug by order of King Willem I, runs from Amsterdam-Noord trough Purmerend and Alkmaar to the very top of Noord-Holland: Den Helder. The lock at the beginning of the canal in Noord is named after Willem I. The canal is 80 kilometers long, 40 meters wide at the water surface and 6 to 7 meters deep over a bottom width of almost 10 meters. At the time the widest and deepest canal in the world. It cost 11 million guilders and the construction took five years.
11. that in 1915 the shipyard NSM started in Amsterdam North?
Here it grew into the largest shipyard off Europe in 1937. In 1920 the Dutch Dock Company settled on the ground next to it. The merger of both in 1946 created the NDSM, the Netherlands dock and shipbuilding company. In 1984, this almost largest shipyard in the world closed its doors.
12. that the Vliegenbos is the largest Elm Forest in Western Europe?
13. that in 1971 the Shell tower was opened, designed by architect Staal?
This tower now houses ADAM Lookout and the restaurant of the Tolhuistuin is now located in the former canteen of Shell employees.
14. that Amsterdam-North lies along the water over a length of about 20 kilometers?
15. that Amsterdam North used to consist of seven villages?
Buiksloot, Nieuwendam, Zunderdorp, Ransdorp, Holysloot, Schellingwoude and Durgerdam.
16. that In the 13th century, the Waterlandse Zeedijk was built to protect the area north of the IJ from the water?